Name:
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota, United States

Saturday, July 22, 2006

How Is Luther?

Ever since I embarked on my seminary career in the beginning of July, my friends never stopped interrogating me for my new experience. At this point I am without sufficient empirical data to construe an accurate response, because most students whom I have met are first year divinity students. A large chunk of the student body is away for the summer. I have not acquainted many faculties either. Nevertheless, I have to give my impression of this place to satisfy the curiosities of many.

A multitude of students I have met are theologically conservative but politically liberal. I don't think theological orthodoxy will be challenged here.

Most people are more Lutheran than I thought. A few are ridiculously Lutheran. I mean they grew up in Lutheran family, went to Lutheran elementary school, middle school, high school, and of course Lutheran college. More than half of the students here I met are either mk's or pk's. Now they are in Luther Seminary. Marten Luther himself is put on a pedestal. A typical lunch time theological discussion goes like this...

topic: anything

Seminarian #1: This is my opinion: *explain explain explain.....* By the way, I have no possibility of being wrong in this issue.

Seminarian #2: How so?

Seminarian #1: Guess what, I am going to invoke the writings of Luther himself as the Authority. This is what Luther said....

Seminarian #3: Oh! If Luther said that, it must be true!

Seminarian #2: Okay, that settles it for me...

Classes must be difficult. One very confounding and disturbing advice I kept hearing from many other experienced seminarian is that don't try finish all the readings and all the works that are assigned to you in any class for the sake of your own sanity...don't work too hard but smartly. It will be a very hard advice to follow for my perfectionist self.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home